19 April 2008

惡作劇之吻 It Started With A Kiss


Title: 惡作劇之吻 Èzuòjù Zhī Wěn
English Title: It Started With A Kiss
Country: Taiwan (R.O.C.)
Language: Mandarin Chinese
Year: 2006
Episode: 20
Cast:
  • 林依晨 Lín Yī Chén (Ariel Lin)
  • 鄭元暢 Zhèng Yuán Chàng (Joe Cheng)
  • 汪東城 Wāng Dōng Chéng (Jiro Wang)
  • 許瑋甯 Xǔ Wěi Nìng (Tiffany Xu)
  • 白歆惠 Bái Xīn Huì (Bianca Bai)
  • 楊沛婷 Yang Pei Ting (Petty Yang)
  • 劉容嘉 Liu Jung Chia (Candice Liu)
  • 炎亞綸 Yán Yǎ Lún (Aaron Yan)



SYNOPSIS
鐵竹堂 Jason, 南拳媽媽 Lara Veronin 主唱 - 湘琴求愛之片頭主題曲 Xiāng Qín Qiú'ài Zhī Piàntóu Zhǔtí Qū (Say U Love Me)
Yuan Xiang Qin is not a very bright girl but her willful spirit and her strong determination more than makes up for her lack of intellect (and common sense, sometimes).

She's in love with Jiang Zhi Shu, a genius with an IQ of 200, since the high school freshmen orientation. After two years of secretly liking him, she gathers up the courage to confess her feelings in a letter. She hands him her letter but Zhi Shu ignores her.

The day is going to be a lot worse for her, unfortunately. Because of an earthquake, Xiang Qin's house ends up in a rubble. With no money to pay for rent, Xiang Qin and her dad are left homeless.

Fortunately, her father's close friends hear of their troubles. They invite Xiang Qin and her dad to stay at their house. Much to Xiang Qin's surprise and delight, kind Uncle Li is Zhi Shu's father and she'll live with Zhi Shu under one roof.



REVIEW
I have to say that I found the premise of a really intelligent guy and a downright stupid girl falling in love really outrageous. I just think it is such an impossible concept because given the fact that they are on very different aspects of thinking (on the opposite ends, actually), I think it's difficult for the two of them to find some common ground.

I have to commend Ariel Lin for her outstanding portrayal of Yuan Xiang Qin. It Started With A Kiss is the only drama of hers that I've watched so far but I am quite convinced that she is a compelling actress.

I think the character of Xiang Qin is so stupid that she is quite unrelatable. I don't think, and I really hope, that there is no real Xiang Qin in this world.

I found a lot of things over-the-top in the drama. In particular, I don't understand why Jiang Zhi Shu's mother wants Xiang Qin to be her son's wife. I know that Xiang Qin is the daughter of her two best friends but as a mother, wouldn't you want someone better for your son? Other people might argue that because of her mother instinct, she knows that Xiang Qin is exactly what Zhi Shu needs. I remain skeptical though.

One of my favorite scenes in the drama is when Xiang Qin cooked some food that are quite inedible, even she couldn't eat it. Zhi Shu kept eating Xiang Qin's cooking though. When Zhi Shu's younger brother Yu Shu kept complaining, Zhi Shu told him to be quiet and eat. I found the scene too romantic for words even though it is such a subtle display of love and appreciation. Thinking rationally though, I think it's better to not eat something awful even if you love the person who made it.

I really hated the drama's ending. Zhi Shu and Xiang Qin do get married after overcoming seemingly thousands of obstacles and more trouble than they could count but that is the only good thing about the ending. I can't believe that Xiang Qin is the groom and Zhi Shu is the bride, mainly because it was Xiang Qin who chased after Zhi Shu. It was funny but really weird at the same time.

I think that's what frustrated me about the drama. Although there are some heartwarming moments; overall it is too outrageous to be realistic.



Related:
惡作劇2吻 They Kiss Again

Alike:
jp - イタズラなKiss (Itazura na Kiss)
jp - イタズラなKiss ~ Love in Tokyo (Itazura na Kiss - Love in Tokyo)
jp - イタズラなKiss2 ~ Love in Okinawa (Itazura na Kiss 2 ~ Love in Okinawa)
jp - イタズラなKiss2 ~ Love in Tokyo (Itazura na Kiss 2 ~ Love in Tokyo)
kr - 장난스런 키스 Playful Kiss


###
惡作劇之吻 It Started With A Kiss