07 March 2008

The Devil Wears Prada


Title: The Devil Wears Prada
Country: United States of America
Language: English
Year: 2006
Cast:
  • Meryl Streep
  • Anne Hathaway
  • Emily Blunt
  • Stanley Tucci
  • Simon Baker
  • Adrian Grenier
  • Tracie Thoms
  • Rich Sommer
  • Daniel Sunjata
  • David Marshall Grant
  • James Naughton
  • Tibor Feldman
  • Rebecca Mader
  • Jimena Hoyos
  • Gisele Bündchen



SYNOPSIS
K.T. Tunstall - Suddenly I See
A naive young woman comes to New York and scores a job as the assistant to one of the city's biggest magazine editors, the ruthless and cynical Miranda Priestly.



REVIEW
I like the book The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger and I also like the movie adaptation, mainly because the production got the best actors. Meryl Streep did a great job in portraying the ruthless and cynical magazine editor Miranda Priestly because she has managed to make her strong and vulnerable at the same time.

I don't really like Andrea Sachs as a character because she is so self-righteous throughout the movie and it's not really a very endearing trait.

In the beginning, she went to the interview for an editorial assistant job at a fashion magazine without doing the basic research such as who are the editors of the fashion magazine.

I think it's considered basic knowledge that when going to a job interview, one of the things you do to prepare is to find out information about the company and assess if you fit in the company's culture. I'm even surprised that she got the job considering that she didn't show that she was resourceful enough.

When she was working in the magazine, she is dismissive of fashion and other people working in the fashion industry. She seemed as if she thinks that what they are doing in the magazine are pointless and absurd.

I'm not especially obsessed with fashion so I sometimes also can't see the slight differences in colors and styles but I really don't think it's right to think that my interests are superior or better than other things that I'm not interested in. I think I would have liked Andrea if she's more clueless and less of an uppity intellectual.




###
The Devil Wears Prada