10 January 2012

Pan Am


Title: Pan Am
Country: United States of America
Language: English
Year: 2011-2012
Season - Episode:
  • season 01 - 14 episodes
Cast:
  • Kelli Garner
  • Christina Ricci
  • Karine Vanasse
  • Margot Robbie
  • Mike Vogel
  • Michael Mosley
  • Jeremy Davidson
  • Goran Visnjic
  • Ashley Greene



SYNOPSIS
Period drama about the pilots and flight attendants who once made Pan Am the most glamorous way to fly.



REVIEW
Pan Am is about some of my favorite topics: travel and spies. I love traveling and it fairly seems necessary in a production about a flight crew.

I like that Pan Am is about four female flight attendants who couldn't be any more different from each other; from the superficial things like hair color, to the intricate aspects such as personality and values.

Katherine Cameron, also known as Kate, is probably the character I paid most attention to simply because while she's officially a flight stewardess, she's also an undercover agent or spy.

Niko Lonza: I honestly can't tell. Are you just a silly naive girl or just a master liar?
Kate Cameron: Both. I'm both.

But I think the character with the best dialogues is Margaret Ryan, also known as Maggie. She's witty and sarcastic, a deadly combination.

Miss Havemeyer: You're next, Miss Ryan.
Maggie Ryan: Oh, please. After you.
Miss Havemeyer: Pardon me?
Maggie Ryan: Well, I think we'd all like to know what you're weighing in at these days. I assume that if there's an ideal weight for serving drinks, then surely there's an ideal weight for looking down one's nose.

Maggie Ryan: Whenever I have to do something I really don't want to, I pretend I'm playing a role, like an actress in a movie.

Maggie Ryan: How did Hemingway describe fear, Mr. Ortiz? Was it grace under pressure? Oh no, I'm sorry. That's how he described courage. So, while she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice cup of tea?

Although it was an entertaining watch, I'm glad it only had one season because I think most productions are only good during its first season run.

I think being a flight stewardess is an interesting career but I am somewhat averse to professions where beauty is a primary requirement on principle. I understand that beautiful people would always have an advantage over average-looking people but it seems extremely discriminatory to favor people with pleasing looks on the outset.

I have considered being a pilot because traveling is one of the perks of the job, but I was an avid reader when I was younger (well, I still read a lot to this day) and I unfortunately couldn't satisfy the 20/20 vision requirement.




###
Pan Am