14 September 2010

Lie to Me (Season 02) Quotes


Title: Lie to Me



S02E06 Lack of Candour

Ben Reynolds: Why should I trust you?
Cal Lightman: Now, it's a funny thing about trust, because it's a matter of faith, isn't it? You can never be really sure of it.
Cal Lightman: People find it hard to suppress their emotions when they're confronted by the victim of their deception.

S02E10 Tractor Man

Eli Loker: (singing)
I say I'm ten when I'm nine and a half,
My uncle tells a joke and I try to laugh,
In gym I fake a headache when I want to quit,
I say I love the sweater that my grandma knit,
But that's a white lie (white lie),
That's the kind you want to tell,
A white lie (white lie)
So you're mom won't have to yell,
A white lie (white lie)
Everybody does it 'cause it feels all right,
And it's more polite,
But a lie's still a lie, even when it's white.
Angela ?: (singing)
I pretend I'm asleep when my dad walks in,
I said I ate my chicken but I just ate the skin,
Your face can say you're lying,
When your mouth says you're not,
Your pants are on fire but they're not too hot
When it's a white lie (white lie)
That's the kind you want to tell,
A white lie (white lie)
So you're dad won't have to yell,
A white lie (white lie)
Everybody does it 'cause it feels all right,
And it's more polite,
But a lie's still a lie, even when it's white.
Eli Loker: (singing)
While it might be hard to say what's true,
Would you want a white lie told to you?
But that's a white lie (white lie),
That's the kind you want to tell,
A white lie (white lie)
So you're mom won't have to yell,
A white lie (white lie)
Everybody does it 'cause it feels all right,
And it's more polite,
But a lie's still a lie, even when it's white.

S02E11 Beat the Devil

Martin Walker: You know what my dissertation was on? How patience is adaptive. Hunters are at the top of the food chain, and they all take their time.
Cal Lightman: Patience, I find, is overrated.
Martin Walker: I noticed. You like to push, to make things happen. That's when people trip up; most people.

Martin Walker: Good chess players think five moves ahead.
Cal Lightman: Great chess players think one move ahead, but it's always the right move.

Gillian Foster: Maybe you are seeing what you want to see.

Eli Loker: The best lies are covered with half-truths.

S03E12 Sweet Sixteen

Cal Lightman: Look, since we're so close, that makes you, scientifically speaking of course, my blind spot; which you well know.
Gillian Foster: Meaning you don't believe me.
Cal Lightman: I didn't say that. Did I say that?!
Gillian Foster: Emotionally you want to believe me, but scientifically you can't be sure.

Cal Lightman: So all that talk about you being a bad liar, that's just an act, right? That's a lie.
Gillain Foster: Depends on the lie.

S02E13 The Whole Truth

Marshal: Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God?
Cal Lightman: That's not possible.
Judge: Excuse me?
Cal Lightman: Well, no one can tell the whole truth, your honor. I mean, it's subjective. It's filtered through our experiences, and that's the truth.
Judge: Well, how about promising to be honest to the best of your ability?
Cal Lightman: Now you're talking.

Prosecuting Attorney: How common is it to lie, claiming memory loss?
Cal Lightman: Well, nine out of ten people claiming memory loss are lying.
Prosecuting Attorney: Why would they do that?
Cal Lightman: Well, it's easier to say "I can't remember" than tell the truth.

Gillian Foster: I mean, the worst thing you can do is match your questioner's intensity. Instead, give a firm, deliberate answer.

Gillian Foster: One last tip. Women require more eye contact than men to feel a connection.

Ria Torres: Well, Gillian Foster always says the closer you are to someone emotionally, the harder it is to get a true read.

Cal Lightman: Well, to say you stopped loving someone you once loved more than anything else in the world, I mean, that would be a lie. But you move on, don't you? You have to move on.

S02E14 React to Contact

Cal Lightman: ... and that's the official version.
Ria Torres: What, do you think there's more than one version?
Cal Lightman: There's always more than one version.

S02E15 Teacher and Pupils

Gillian Foster: That's what we do, gentlemen. We read people. If you're lying, cheating, or deceiving, your face will let us know before anything you're saying ever does.

Gillian Foster: People who show genuine guilt and remorse are more likely to confess.

Eli Loker: If a member of a group dynamic feels that the group has strayed from its moral code, that member's discomfort manifests itself in physical distancing from the group, micro-expressions of disagreement.

S02E17 Bullet Bump

Ben Reynolds: Let me ask you something. How can you tell if this thing is fake if it's been typed?
Gillian Foster: Word choice, repetition, the use of passive or active voice can tell you a lot about the person who wrote this. Let me show you. 'A person of my stature', 'someone in my position', 'with regards to a subordinate', this is a person who is preoccupied with power and status.
Ben Reynolds: Power and status, huh? That sounds like the Trevor Addison you were describing earlier.
Gillian Foster: It's all about the pronouns. Women, we use a lot more pronouns when we write; 'I', 'she', 'they'. Men will typically name the person or thing they're talking about.
Ben Reynolds: So a woman preoccupied with power and status wrote this.

S02E19 Pied Piper

Eli Loker: And the best time to look for a job is when you already have one.

Gillian Foster: There are theories that the pied piper is the symbol of death, that the fairy tale was concocted to explain a horrible tragedy where children died.

Ria Torres: Studies have shown that the strongest deterrent to a lawsuit is familiarity, a personal relationship...

S02E21 Darkness and Light

Cal Lightman: In my experience, right, telling a lie can never be a good thing.

S02E22 Black and White

Cal Lightman: Come on, keep up. You ever thought about wearing sensible shoes?
Ria Torres: Definitely.
Cal Lightman: What, definitely sensible?