02 February 2014

응답하라 1994 (Answer Me 1994)


Title: 응답하라 1994 Eungdabhara 1994
English Title:
  • Answer Me 1994
  • Reply 1994
  • Respond 1994

Kim Seon Joon, also known as Chil Bong, and Sung Na Jung






























When I watch the scenes between Kim Seon Joon and Sung Na Jung, I can't help being hopeful that they will end up together but I am somewhat frustrated at the same time because he seems to be the second male lead character. I mean, it is quite futile to root for the guy who will not get the girl.

Chil Bong has been really sweet and thoughtful to Na Jung but since she likes someone else, she remains oblivious to all of his efforts. I do find Chil Bong's efforts endearing in the general sense but I wonder if it can really be considered romantic if his feelings are not conveyed to the intended person?

Anyway, I really admire his persistence. He goes over to the boardinghouse often to spend time with Na Jung, even skipping baseball practice sometimes. He buys her perfume as a gift after she mentioned if she should wear perfume like all the Seoul kids do. He orders food delivery from her part-time job so he can see her when she delivers the food. He picks her up after her work shift has ended to walk her home, and he doesn't mind waiting when she told him she might get off quite late.

He had to stay in Seoul for a baseball appointment when Na Jung and their friends went to Sam Chun Po's hometown but when his appointment got cancelled, he impulsively followed them so he can spend time with them. He had to go back the next day though so after accounting for twelve hours of travel time back and forth, he can only stay with them for about three hours.

Kim Seon Joon, also known as Chil Bong: Why do you think I came here? Coming here in a bus that traveled for six hours, staying here for just three hours, then going back on a bus that travels again for six hours; why do you think I did that? I think you know it too, but this time, I should say it clearly. Since this year is almost over... I can't do an unrequited love for two years, you know. I like you, that's why I came all the way here. I'm not asking you to like me, though. I know that you like someone, and so I thought about not telling you. But what can I do about liking you? I think I will regret it if I don't say it today. I wanted to say it before the day ends.

He ended up confessing then and I'm impressed he found the courage to do so, especially since he knows she likes someone else so his feelings are essentially rejected. I don't think I could ever confess to someone, especially if I know my feelings are not reciprocated.

He kissed her right after his confession, which is a little strange considering that he knew her feelings are engaged somewhere else. But he confessed around midnight during the new year, so maybe it's a custom in South Korea, like in most western countries, to kiss the one you're with during new year's eve?