25 February 2011

마이 프린세스 My Princess


Title: 마이 프린세스 Mai Peulinseseu
English Title: My Princess
Country: South Korea
Language: Korean
Year: 2011
Episodes: 16
Cast:
  • 김태희 Kim Tae Hee
  • 송승헌Song Seung Hoon
  • 류수영 Ryu Soo Young
  • 박예진 Park Ye Jin 
  • 이순재 Lee Soon Jae
  • 맹상훈 Maeng Sang Hoon
  • 임예진 Im Ye Jin
  • 강예솔 Kang Ye Sol



    SYNOPSIS
    Lee Seol is a bright and charming girl who has endless schemes to earn money. She is an ordinary graduate student, studying Korean arts and history. Seol is an adopted daughter of her mother and she has one older sister who is also adopted.

    One day, Seol finds out that she is the heir to the royal throne. Although the political system in South Korea is currently a democracy, a powerful chaebol Park Dong Jae is willing to support the reinstatement of the royalty and the declaration of Seol as a princess.

    Park Hae Young is the grandson of Park Dong Jae and is the future owner of the family owned corporation Dae Han Group. His claim to the family business and property is threatened when his grandfather offered to give up everything he owns to the Korean government if the people vote to reinstate the royalty.

    Hae Young is further conflicted when, as a diplomat, he is appointed as Seol's official teacher on proper etiquette and diplomatic relations.



    REVIEW
    I was looking forward to watching this drama because of Kim Tae Hee; I find her really charming but I don't really want to watch her other dramas so I was really glad that she decided to do My Princess. I wonder why she didn't do a romantic comedy prior to this one because although she's not a great actress, she has the comedic chops to carry a romantic comedy.

    Lee Seol is a very engaging character because she's special yet very ordinary. She has some redeeming qualities but is also very flawed, which makes her easy to relate to and to root for. I like that she's so bright and optimistic even though she had a very difficult past.

    I think what made My Princess successful is the explosive chemistry between the two main actors, Kim Tae Hee and Song Seung Hoon. Their interactions were the best moments of the drama, at least for me, that I tend to focus on the scenes where they are together and tune out on the other scenes. 

    I couldn't care less about the plot development of the drama mainly because it focused on the small issues such as several press conferences but breezed through potential big issues such as Lee Seol's training on becoming a proper princess and the royal princess engaging in a romantic relationship.

    I didn't like that the evil characters in My Princess are two women who are insecure about themselves and angry at the world because some people seem to be always better off even though they think they deserve to be the best. Lee Dan hates her sister Seol because their adoptive mother love them equally when she thinks that she should be loved more than her sister. Oh Yoon Joo's motivations for doing awful things is not very clear, which makes her actions even more hateful.




    ###
    마이 프린세스 My Princess