20 June 2016

99.9 刑事専門弁護士 99.9 Keiji Senmon Bengoshi

  • 99.9
  • 99.9 刑事専門弁護士 99.9 Keiji Senmon Bengoshi
English Title:
  • 99.9
  • 99.9 Criminal Lawyers
Country: Japan
Language: Japanese
Year: 2016
Episode: 10
  • 松本潤 Matsumoto Jun
  • 香川照之 Kagawa Teruyuki
  • 榮倉奈々 Eikura Nana
  • 片桐仁 Katagiri Jin
  • 渡辺真起子 Watanabe Makiko
  • 児島雄一 Kojima Yuichi (マギー Magy)
  • 岸部一徳 Kishibe Ittoku
  • 藤本隆宏 Fujimoto Takahiro
  • 青木崇高 Aoki Munetaka
  • 小市慢太郎 Koichi Mantaro
  • 奥田瑛二 Okuda Eiji
  • 映美くらら Emi Kurara

嵐 Arashi - Daylight
Miyama Hiroto is an eccentric lawyer who goes to great lengths to uncover the truth regarding the criminal cases that he takes on. He is assisted by paralegal Akashi Tatsuya, who couldn't seem to pass the law bar exam even after taking it many times.

When Japan's top law firm Madarame Law set up a Criminal Law division, the managing partner Madarame Haruhiko recruited Hiroto to be part of the firm, and Hiroto negotiated that they also hire Tatsuya as a paralegal.

The Criminal Law division is headed by top corporate lawyer Sada Atsuhiro, who took on the new role because he wants to become the future managing partner of the law firm. Aside from Hiroto and Tatsuya, the other members of the team are young corporate lawyer Tachibana Ayano, secretary Togawa Natsuko, and paralegal Fujino Hiroki.

99.9 Keiji Senmon Bengoshi is an interesting drama about defense lawyers who try to find out the truth in cases that their clients are involved in; and they usually prove that their clients are falsely accused of the crime and are actually innocent.

The conviction rate at criminal trials is 99.9% in Japan. Once someone is prosecuted, he will be judged guilty almost every time. The drama is about defense lawyers who challenge those difficult cases among such unfavorable conditions, in order to arrive at the truth hidden behind that remaining 0.1%.

It's fascinating how most people always accept things at face value, especially when it comes from a place of authority. They don't take the time to evaluate things properly, to question if something is real, and to try to find out the reason why some things are the way it is.

It's amazing how lawyer Miyama Hiroto uncovers the truth of what really happened, simply by being observant of the people involved and asking the right questions. Hiroto is not even asking complicated questions, he normally just tries to find out the 'how' and 'why' in most situations.

The most intriguing case I found is of the woman who manipulated events so that she'll come away with everything. Although she's guilty, she won't get punished for it because there is no proof of whatever it is that she has done.

I would like to think that good things happen to good people, although it may not happen as often as it should, and evil people get what they deserve eventually. I realize that it's such a simple way of looking at things, as if everything is clearly black and white when that's not really the reality.

99.9 刑事専門弁護士 99.9 Keiji Senmon Bengoshi