31 July 2015

Le Petit Prince Quotes


Title: Le Petit Prince
English Title: The Little Prince



The Aviator: Grown-ups. They never understand anything by themselves.

The Academy Teacher: What do you want to be when you grow up?

The Little Girl: Apparently, they changed the big question.

The Little Girl: I'm sorry, Mum.
The Mother: Don't be. We'll just have to go to Plan B.
The Little Girl: B? You said Plan B was impossible! That's why we went with Plan A.
The Mother: Plan B is the new Plan A. We're moving forward.

?: Matters of consequence today for the serious and sensible man...

The Mother: We did it! You're going to Werth Academy whether they want you or not.

?: No one is ever satisfied where he is, pursuing nothing...

The Mother: Just keep reminding yourself that that house made this house available, and made your future possible.

The Mother: I present to you your life plan.
The Little Girl: My life plan?
The Mother: Your life plan. We're not leaving anything to chance. Everything's here. From top to bottom. Left to right. Let's take a look.
The Mother: The minute of the hour, hour of the day, day of the week, week of the month, month of the year, the year of your life. Everything! Got it?
...
The Mother: But for now, this is your priority. The first day of your new school. We've got 53 days to go, which doesn't sound like much, until you break it into hours, 1,272. Or minutes, 76,320.
The Mother: Only then do you realize how much can be accomplished. You will use every minute, hour and day according to this.

The Little Girl: I have some issues with some of the facts.
The Aviator: You have questions?
The Little Girl: I don't mean to be rude. Can I?
The Aviator: What? Be rude? Sure, go ahead. I'm listening.

The Aviator: But the fact that he wanted a sheep, that pretty much proves that he exists, don't you think?

The Little Girl: Wow. This is a pretty serious fire hazard.
The Aviator: I never looked at it that way.

The Little Girl: Where did you get all this stuff?
The Aviator: As time goes by, some things just kind of stick to you. There's a name for it...
The Little Girl: Collecting?
The Aviator: Hoarding! That's it, hoarding. I'm a hoarder, a bit of a hoarder.

The Aviator: Now, the shame of it was that they loved each other. But they were both too young to know how to love.
The Aviator: Full of doubt, he ran away.

The Rose: Of course I love you. If you're not aware of that, it's my fault. Please forgive me.

The Little Girl: But where did he go?
The Aviator: He didn't know it at the time, but his leaving was just the first step on a journey back to her.

The King: I shall command it, but I shall wait until conditions are favorable.

The Conceited Man: Do you really admire me very much? Am I not the handsomest, the best dressed, the richest, the most intelligent man on this planet?
The Little Prince: But you're the only man on this planet.
The Conceited Man: Do me this kindness, and admire me just the same, please.

The Business Man: I own the stars. I administer them. I count them, then I recount them.
The Little Prince: But what good does that do you?
The Business Man: Well, it does me the good of making me rich. How's that?
The Little Prince: And what good does it do you to be rich?
The Business Man: It makes it possible for me to buy more stars, plus anything else you can think of.

The Little Prince: Grown-ups are certainly very very odd. I've lived a great deal among grown-ups. I have seen them up close, and that hasn't much changed my opinion of them.
The Little Girl: Yes. I'm not sure I want to grow up anymore.
The Aviator: Growing up is not the problem. Forgetting is.

The Little Girl: I'm scared.
The Aviator: That's normal. It is scary. Why do you think I sent you?

The Little Prince: Hey! Come play with me.
The Fox: I cannot play with you. I am not tamed.
The Little Prince: What does that mean?
The Fox: Tame means "to establish ties". To me, you are just a little boy who is just like 100,000 other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you have no need of me. To you, I am just a fox like 100,000 foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. And to you, I shall be unique in all the world.

The Little Prince: My rose is just a common rose? But she told me she was the only one of her kind in the whole universe.
The Fox: But she is not a common rose. She is your rose. The time that you have devoted to her makes your rose so important.
The Little Prince: She is my rose.

The Fox: It's very simple. It is only with the heart that one can see rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.

The Little Prince: The stars are beautiful because of a flower that cannot be seen.
The Little Prince: What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

The Aviator: Well... It is as he said. I look at the stars and I hear him laughing.
The Little Girl: But you don't know for sure?
The Aviator: It would comfort me very much to know for sure, but instead, I choose to believe he is up there.

?: Anything inessential...
The Little Prince: must be made essential.

The Little Prince: I never knew what this was, or where I even got it, but I thought maybe it was important...

The Little Prince: I'm not hopeless, I'm hopeful! That's right, I'm full of hope!