10 December 2010

Fine Dining



Title: Fine Dining
English Title: Fine Dining
Country: Philippines
Language: Filipino
Year: 2010
Cast:
  • Efren Elgo
  • Mary Joy Cabacaba



SYNOPSIS
A short film on poverty, dignity, and the unconquerable nature of the human soul.



REVIEW
Fine Dining is a short film was written and directed by Lance Katigbak when he was 18 years old. It runs for just five minutes but I was really surprised how touched I am about the film's message; well, my interpretation of the film's message anyway.

If someone is destitute, the initial assumption is that he will not have the time or resources to be preoccupied with pleasures and frivolities. But when you think about it, there are simple pleasures in life and everyone is entitled to such simple pleasures.

Even if someone has limited resources, one can always try to make the best out of the situation. I love how the protagonist is making an effort to set the dishes properly and provide the right ambiance (getting flowers as centerpiece, lighting candles, playing music, and dressing up) because he wants to and because he can.

I don't really watch a lot of Filipino mainstream movies because I just can't connect with them. I do like several local art films that I have watched in limited screening events or film festivals. After watching this, I have become more optimistic about Filipino productions and I'm definitely hopeful for the future of Philippine cinema. Perhaps I'll try watching more local shows and movies...




###
Fine Dining