12 September 2009

The September Issue


Title: The September Issue
Country: United States of America
Language: English
Year: 2009
Cast:
  • Anna Wintour
  • Katherine Shaffer (Bee Shaffer)
  • Candy Pratts Price
  • André Leon Talley
  • Vera Wang
  • Tom Florio
  • Stefano Pilati
  • Burton Tansky
  • Sally Singer
  • Virginia Smith
  • Grace Coddington
  • Edward Enninful
  • Tonne Goodman
  • Elissa Santisi
  • ThakoonPanichgul (Thakoon)
  • Danko Steiner
  • Oscar de la Renta
  • Isabel Toledo
  • Charles Churchward (Charlie Churchward)
  • Sienna Miller
  • Laurie Jones
  • Jean Paul Gaultier
  • Mario Testino
  • David Sims
  • Patrick Demarchelier
  • SI Newhouse



SYNOPSIS
A documentary chronicling Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour's preparations for the 2007 fall fashion issue.



REVIEW
The September Issue is an interesting documentary about the production of the most important issue of Vogue, the most glamorous fashion magazine in the world. I'm always amused that the month of September is more special in the fashion world, mainly because I always think January is the most significant month.

It was remarkable for me to find out that the magazine staff prepare for an issue months in advance, say they prepare for the September issue around five months ahead or like in March or April. I always thought that fashion is about current trends so it seemed weird to talk about what would be popular five months later but I suppose in a way it isn't because these magazine editors led by Anna Wintour and the stylists are the very people who dictate what is in and what isn't.

I think fashion is fascinating although to be honest, I don't really understand a lot about it. It's certainly interesting to see fashion from the perspective of the influential people in the fashion industry.

Anna Wintour: Fashion's not about looking back. It's always about looking forward.

Anna seems to want her daughter Katherine Shaffer, also known as Bee Shaffer, to follow her footsteps but Bee seems decided against pursuing a career in fashion. It's going to be quite challenging if Bee ever decides to become a magazine editor because she would not only have big shoes to fill, she would always be hounded with comparisons with her very successful mother.

Katherine Shaffer, also known as Bee Shaffer: I really don't want to work in fashion, it's just not for me. I really respect her (Anna Wintour) obviously, um, but it's a really weird industry to me and it's just not for me. She wants me to be an editor.
Katherine Shaffer, also known as Bee Shaffer: I don't want to put it down but it's... I would never want to take it too seriously. Some of the people in there act like fashion is life, and it's just... It's really amusing and you could make fun of them, but for that to be your career -- it's just... there are other things out there, I think.

Anyway, I think I'm not part of the target market of Vogue, and it's not really a magazine I would reach for in a newsstand. I mean, I've never been a fashion conscious person.

I don't really care all that much about what kind of clothes and accessories are in vogue because I have my own ideas of what cuts look good and what accessories I like, and that never changes really.




###
The September Issue