06 August 2014

제시카 & 크리스탈 Jessica & Krystal


Title: 제시카&크리스탈 Jesika & Keuliseutal
English Title: Jessica & Krystal
Country: South Korea
Language: Korean
Year: 2014
Episode: 10
Cast:
  • 정수연 Jung Soo Yeon (제시카 정 Jessica Jung) (제시카 Jessica)
  • 정수정 Jung Soo Jung (크리스탈 정 Krystal Jung) (크리스탈 Krystal)



SYNOPSIS
에프엑스 f(x) - Milk
Cameras follow sisters and friends Jessica Jung and Krystal Jung as they go through their daily lives. They share their hectic lifestyles, personal styles, and varied interests.

Older sister Jessica is a member of the popular girl group Girls' Generation. Younger sister Krystal is a member of the cool girl group f(x).



REVIEW
에프엑스 f(x) - All Night
Jessica & Krystal is a variety show that's been in my radar ever since it was announced simply because it is about two of my favorite idols, who happen to be sisters. I think it's interesting to see the unique relationship dynamics between Jessica Jung (Jung Soo Yeon) and Krystal Jung (Jung Soo Jung) because they are family, friends, and colleagues to each other.

Girls' Generation is my favorite Korean idol group, and the only one I actively follow. I've been a fan ever since the group's debut, and it is actually the reason why I even got interested in Korean pop music. Unlike my favorite Japanese idol group Arashi where I'm hard-pressed to pick a favorite member, my favorite Girls' Generation members are Jessica and Im Yoon Ah (YoonA).

Because I love Girls' Generation, I pay attention to the other idol groups under the same management company S.M. Entertainment. I suppose I'll always have a soft spot for f(x), and my favorite f(x) members are Krystal and Victoria Song (Song Qian).

Jessica & Krystal revealed the two's similarities, such as their love for traveling and eating good food, as well as their differences, such as their style choices.

I found the show interesting but it's probably because I like the cast, and I didn't particularly mind that they do nothing special half the time.

Objectively speaking though, it would have been more interesting if the is more structured, which could be brought about by tighter editing and removing what I would call 'fillers' for a lack of a better word.

Anyway, I noticed that Jessica and Krystal feed each other often. Well, I notice some characters feed other characters directly as well when I watch Korean dramas, and it's an express manifestation of an individual's care and affection.

I didn't find it especially odd because of the difference of cultures. There's a specific word in my local language for feeding people directly, so it's also a significant gesture where I come from. (By the way, isn't it incredible how a language reflects what's important or what's common in a specific culture? For instance, rice is an important food source in my native country so we have specific words for rice as a plant, rice as it is processed to become food, uncooked rice, different words for cooked rice depending on how it is cooked, and even for rice that has been cooked for a while but is still good for eating to differentiate it from newly cooked rice).

However, I am somewhat uncomfortable with being fed directly and I don't really feed other people directly despite knowing the significance of such a gesture. It's a personal preference, really, and nothing more. So I'm quite amazed that Jessica and Krystal do it for each other so naturally.




###
제시카&크리스탈 Jessica & Krystal