03 May 2008

Before Sunrise


Title: Before Sunrise
Country: United States of America
Language:
  • English
  • French
Year: 1995
Cast:
  • Ethan Hawke
  • Julie Delpy
  • Andrea Eckert
  • Hanno Pöschl
  • Karl Bruckschwaiger
  • Tex Rubinowitz
  • Erni Mangold
  • Dominik Castell
  • Haymon Maria Buttinger



SYNOPSIS
A young man and woman meet on a train in Europe, and wind up spending one evening together in Vienna. Unfortunately, both know that this will probably be their only night together.



REVIEW
Before Sunrise is an interesting movie about chance encounters. It's fascinating how some people can have a profound connection with someone in such a short time, and how they can develop a deep relationship with someone they'll just spend an evening with.

I think it's amazing that Céline and James Wallace, also known as Jesse, had candid and honest conversations about everything under the sun considering that they are complete strangers to each other. I just don't think I'd be as forthcoming with my thoughts and opinions if I were in their situation, but that's probably because I'm a very guarded person.

Because the focus of the film is the characters' dialogues, I love how the topics are thought-provoking, and how Céline and Jesse talked endlessly as if they are really speaking as they are thinking, without regard to organizing their thoughts in their minds first.

I like how they explored the city of Vienna in Austria: on foot and without a plan. That's my travel fantasy actually, arrive in a destination and just wander around aimlessly.

I couldn't believe that Céline and Jesse did not exchange addresses and phone numbers when they parted ways. I mean, it's just better to have the information at hand, just in case you need it.

But still, I liked how the ending was realistic but hopeful. They both know it's difficult to expect a serious relationship from each other given that they are both young and they live in different countries, but they are open to that possibility.



Related:
Before Sunset (2004)
Before Midnight (2013)


###
Before Sunrise