01 January 2014

我的自由年代 In A Good Way


Title: 我的自由年代 Wǒ de Zìyóu Niándài
English Title:
  • In A Good Way
  • My Era of Freedom
  • My Years of Freedom

白雪芬 Bái Xuě Fēn, also known as 白雪 Bái Xuě









Although I like most of the characters in the drama In A Good Way, Bai Xue Fen, otherwise known as Bai Xue, is my favorite character. She's just so cool in so many levels, and she seems as close to perfect as can be.

I like Bai Xue for her simple beauty and her classic style. I like how she carries herself, always poised and always put together.

Bai Xue Fen: Listen to me. Whether you go to the dance or not, you have to find your own look. Even though appearances aren't the most important thing, remember, it's also a part of you. Okay?

Generally, most school beauty characters are always presented as naturally beautiful and couldn't be bothered about physical appearances. I think such presentation is misleading, because even the beautiful people are concerned with how they look. I mean, how could they not be when they must have extensive experience of being treated differently for being beautiful as compared to their peers?

I like her intelligence and her maturity. I like that Bai Xue's hobbies are simple pleasures such as reading books and watching films. I like her idols and some of her favorite authors. Although I do not have the same taste in music as she does, I appreciate that she knows what she likes.

Anyway, Bai Xue also has her faults. She is too straightforward at times, and she is sometimes too honest for her own good. She could learn a thing or two about rejecting other people's feelings graciously from her good friend Liu Shan Feng, also known as Liu Chan.

What makes her even more special is that not only do most people want to be her, most people would probably be more than willing to be close friends with her if they only knew what a great person she really is.

Bai Xue Fen: I have something to tell you. I'm sorry I lied to you before. Earlier, I denied that the person I like likes you... The person I like really likes you. The reason I denied it was because I wasn't ready to face the truth myself. I also didn't want you to worry about my feelings...
Lin Jai En: How can I not?
Bai Xue Ren: You said before that you cherish me very much as a friend. Do you still remember?
Lin Jai En: Of course I remember.
Bai Xue Ren: Then I'm going to tell you how to cherish me. Please listen to your heart. Don't be influenced by me and my feelings. I don't want people's pity or sympathy. I especially don't want you to sacrifice yourself because of me. It won't bring me the kind of love that I want anyway.
Bai Xue Ren: You are free to go after what you want, and you should bravely do so. Do you understand? No matter what happens, don't worry and don't forget that we will always be good friends.

I particularly admire Bai Xue for having the courage to confess her feelings to Liu Chan. It took her several years but she has managed to overcome her fears and insecurities, and she went ahead and bared her heart to Liu Chan. It's not something I could have ever done.

I think it's amazing that she remains hopeful about romance, and she still looks forward to meeting her special someone in the future in spite of getting heartbroken.

Bai Xue Fen: Even though, in the vast amount of people, it is hard for you to find someone you like that likes you back, I believe that one day, that special someone will definitely show up.

It's not easy to maintain a positive outlook when you've been doused with the harsh realities of life, but I think it's inspiring that she remains the optimistic and romantic Bai Xue at the end of it all.

I wish she had other narratives in the drama, aside from her one-sided love to Liu Chan. After she had dealt with her unrequited feelings, and after she has resolved her friendships with her close friends, she became a supporting character.