02 November 2013

응답하라 1994 (Answer Me 1994)


Title: 응답하라 1994 Eungdabhara 1994
English Title:
  • Answer Me 1994
  • Reply 1994
  • Respond 1994

김선훈 Kim Seon Joon, also known as 칠봉 Chil Bong (칠봉이 Chilbong-ie)














































There are many memorable characters but I get especially attached to characters because I either want to be like them in some ways or they have some qualities that I can relate to.

Kim Seon Joon, also known as Chil Bong, may not be someone I can objectively say is a well-written character (I mean, I love him too much that I won't even try to claim any objectivity where he's concerned) but I consider him as one of the best characters ever based on personal qualifications.

Chil Bong is a good person. He is proof that a person can be all things (intelligent, accomplished, financially well-off, etc.) and still be a genuinely nice person. He inspires me to strive to be always polite and courteous to everyone in general, but to family and friends in particular.

Although he seems to have a troubled family life, he remains cheerful and positive. He is a good example that who we are and how we live our lives are a reflection of our choices and decisions. There are some difficult situations that we may have to experience but we can choose how to act in these situations or circumstances. There are some things in this world that we have no control over (i.e. other people's choices, emotions, and actions) but we can choose how to react to these people's choices, emotions, and actions.

I like all the characters in Answer Me 1994 but I'm particularly interested in Chil Bong as a character. I don't really know why I got attached to him. I suppose it's because he looks so ordinary when he first appeared and then I find out he is this exceptional athlete who is skilled enough to actually play professionally.

I'am also particularly invested in his story and so far, his story arc revolves around him experiencing an unrequited love for Sung Na Jung. I like that I've been with him as his feelings grew from interest to like, and then to love.

Chil Bong is a caring person. Although he has not spent a lot of time with Na Jung and he doesn't know her well, he is perceptive enough to notice when she is not being her usual self. I like that he notices these subtle changes and I'm impressed that he even tries to make things easier for her by helping her in little ways that he can.