31 March 2009

Valentino the Last Emperor


Title: Valentino The Last Emperor
English Title: Valentino The Last Emperor
Country: Italy
Language:
  • English
  • French
  • Italian
Year: 2008
Cast:
  • Valentino Garavani
  • Giancarlo Giammetti
  • Antonietta de Angelis
  • Daniela Giardina
  • Michael Kelly
  • Carlos Souza
  • Matteo Marzotto
  • Orlando Pita
  • Suzy Menkes
  • Hamish Bowles
  • Dante Ferretti
  • Linda Wells
  • Amy Fine Collins
  • Cathy Horyn
  • Naty Abascal
  • Andre Leon Talley
  • Karl Lagerfield



SYNOPSIS
A look at the life of legendary fashion designer Valentino.



REVIEW
Valentino the Last Emperor is an interesting documentary about one of the most iconic fashion designers of all time. It shows Valentino Garavani and his long-time business partner Giancarlo Giammetti as they work on Valentino's haute couture collections, and also as they deal with a company takeover.

Valentino is a force to be reckoned with both in the personal sense and in the professional sense. He always knows what he wants, and he's adamant that he'll get whatever it is no matter what.

Valentino Garavani: I love beauty. It's not my fault.

Valentino Garavani: Yeah, I know, I know, I know what women want... They want to be beautiful.

Valentino Garavani: It's my nature, you know. I only remember the things I want to remember.

Valentino Garavani: An evening dress that reveals a woman's ankles while walking is the most disgusting thing I have ever seen. I've never done it in my entire career.

Valentino Garavani: This was the best thing for me, to design and create dresses. I always did this. I am not capable of doing anything else. I am a disaster in everything else.

Valentino's dresses are exquisitely beautiful, and he's certainly in a league of his own when it comes to classic designs. It's fascinating how his clothes are entirely hand-sewn, and I can't imagine how much work it takes just to finish a single dress.

Valentino the Last Emperor also shows the challenges encountered by couturiers and fashion houses in the modern times. Valentino loves designing clothes, but the money in the fashion industry is more on the bags, shoes, and accessories like sunglasses and watches.




###
Valentino: The Last Emperor